Hey everyone! Today, I wanted to talk about the latest news to rock the social media + blogging world… the Instagram update!
I’d consider myself pretty well versed when it comes to social media. Developing strategies, engaging content, and actively managing a variety of different accounts is what the majority of my professional background is comprised of! As a blogger, I rely heavily on many social platforms to help share my blogs content + interact with you guys through real-time posts. I am always doing my best to stay up to date on the latest news + trends, so when the platforms that I use decide to drastically switch things up, I like to do my homework.
This kind of update can seem a bit scary, but don’t fret just yet…I’m going to share a quick breakdown of what’s going on + how you can make it work for you!
Similar to Facebook, Instagram will be adjusting its algorithm so that your feed will feature the posts you’ll be most likely to enjoy + engage in at the top. Not your entire feed, juuuust the top! There’s a lot of misinformation, rage, and serious breakdowns going on, but this update is not the worst thing in the world. Here’s what you need to know…
- Nothing has changed yet! According to a rep from Instagram, they are still in the process of testing this new algorithm…and on a super small number of people! No major changes are coming our way for weeks, maybe months!
- Don’t over react, just interact! The new update will push posts that normally get a lot of likes + comments [specifically from you] to the top. Do you always like your best friends posts? Then you’ll probably still see them. Do your posts normally get a decent response? Then they probably still will. Do your posts normally receive minimal interaction as it is? You can do something about that. If you interact with others, others will interact with you. It’s fool proof, and it’s the most legitimate way to keep your account relevant! I’ve always made it a point to like every single photo that I see on my feed [unless of course, I don’t actually like it lol]. But that’s what this platform is all about! Why follow people if you don’t like their photos?
- Don’t get suckered into the “Global Thirst Crisis” [LOL]! Have you seen any “Turn on Notifications” posts? I woke up to a feed full of them yesterday. By turning on your notifications, you’re not guaranteeing that that persons pictures will show up in your feed, you’re agreeing to have an alert sent to your phone every.time.that.person.posts.a.picture. If you’re okay with that, then by all means…turn those suckers on!! But just know, if you usually like someones photos, it’s likely that you’ll continue to see them. They say that the majority of Instagram users miss 70% of the images in their timeline as it is, so what I like to do if I haven’t been on for a couple of days, is visit my favorite ‘grammar’s page’s and catch up on their pics! You may not catch them in real time, but you can still see them. 🙂
- Post great content! Be sure you’re sharing quality images [and no, you don’t need a fancy camera for this!] Make your content engaging, exciting, and valuable to your followers. For bloggers or small businesses, consider hosting a giveaway, run a contest, share a funny meme + ask people to tag a friend…get creative! And don’t forget to use those hashtags! 😉
- Don’t be Instacure! I love this term! Not sure if I can coin its origin, but I have yet to hear it be used elsewhere. At the end of the day, Instagram is meant to be fun. Don’t let all this number nonsense get to your head. Your worth is not based on your likes + followers. For many bloggers, artists, business owners, etc. these kinds of platforms are essential for marketing, so if you continue to share quality products + valuable content all while using your unique, genuine, honest voice…I think you’ll be just fine. 🙂
If you were confused about the Instagram update, I hope that this post helped you out a little bit!
Sometimes change can stink. I personally love the simplicity of Instagram as is — I love the real-time feed + seeing where people are/what they’re doing at that moment! It will certainly be interesting to see how much things change, but there’s not much we can do other than ride the wave + support one another by being active Instagram followers! 🙂
Thank you to everyone who follows me on the ‘gram + enjoys my posts! I do my best to show just as much love on your pictures as you all continuously show me on mine!
What are your thoughts on this update?
If you’re an active Instagrammer and I don’t follow you, please leave your username below!!
Thank you for sharing! I’m hoping to get an Instagram soon, so I will be sure to follow you.
You’re very welcome, thanks for reading — I’m glad that you enjoyed it! I’ll be on the lookout for your new account! XO 🙂
This is perfect! I’ve seen so many conflicting reports that I didn’t know what the deal was. Now I’m informed and I’m regretting turning on all of those notifications haha
Hahaha! I think people are definitely making it out to be more dramatic than it needs to be. I’m sure it will take a little bit of adjusting and some strategizing when it comes to using the app, but I really do think all will be fine! I love following the people that I do, but I cannot stannnnnd notifications! I promiseeee I will keep up to date with your pages sans alerts LOL. Thanks for reading girlfriend! XOXO
Very informative post Amanda. Thank you.
Thank Gail! I’m glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
I loved this post so much ! It was a bit scary to see everyone freaking out yesterday. Thank you for all these answers ! And feel free to say hello : Zoskainwonderland is my instagram name 😉
I’m so glad that you enjoyed it! 🙂 I literally woke up yesterday + it was like the world was ending!! I think the changes are being hyped way too much + once everything switches over + we get a feel for how the new algorthim operates, everyone will adjust accordingly. Thanks for reading + sharing your info, I’ll go check out your page right now! XOXO
i love following you on instagram, all of your posts are awesome! my IG name is damnnn_its_sam
Aw thanks so much girl!! I’ll go check out your page right now. Thanks for the support! XO 🙂
I think the update sounds annoying, But again like you said if you engage and like all of your friends posts then it shouldn’t be a problem. Lol, the thirst trap as been real too many people have been posting about turning on the notifications. Great info, good post!!! Thanks 🙂
Thanks for reading, Brittany! And I totally agree, I don’t necessarily find the update to be a *good* thing, I really do love the way that Instagram operates right now, but only time will tell. The “turn on notifications” posts were driving me crazyyyy! That’s a whole lot of notifications haha. We shall see how it all plays out! Glad you enjoyed the post! XOXO
Oh my god!!! Thanks for the shout out !!! 🙂 This was legit the best post ever. Super helpful!
Of course!! I love your pics!!! :):) And I’m glad you enjoyed it — I’m hoping this Insta craziness dies down a bit! I know you’re going away, but let’s get together when you return!!! XOXO 🙂
Great tips & info🤓 I was also freaking out some over this update, feel free to check out my insta @sylviannarosanna X
Thank you! I’m so glad that you enjoyed this post! I’m curious to see how everything plays out, but I really think we’ll be just fine! Checking out your Insta now! 🙂 XO
Thanks for the heads up. I get 3 likes on my posts daily lol You and two others. 😉 I’m not quite sure where I’m going wrong, but maybe the new system will be a benefit? (Yes, that is truly a question lol) 🙂
Hahah aw! It may be!! I’m curious to see how it ends up working out myself! It takes a little leg work to grow a social account, but you’ll get there! 🙂
I quite like it when social media mixes things up so I can’t imagine this update will be anything major. So glad there is another person out there with a sensible approach! 😊
Hahah, thanks girl! It was only a matter of time before they thew us for a loop! I’m sure it’ll all be just fine, we shall see! XO
I think the changes will be good 🙂 I’m
@krystaldream on there if you want to follow me!
It’ll definitely be interesting to see how it works out! 🙂 And thanks for sharing girl, I’ll have to scope out your account ASAP! Thanks for reading! XO
Thank you so much for posting this! I also woke up yesterday to everyone freaking out & basically begging followers to turn on post notifications. I didn’t understand it and also didn’t completely believe it either. I just joined Instagram when I started my blog in October & although it’s been difficult figuring out all of the “unspoken rules,” it’s my favorite social media since I love pictures. However, I don’t think it’ll effect me that much whenever they make the change. Instagram is where I have the most followers as far as my social media accounts are concerned, but I get almost zero traffic coming to my blog because of it and that’s my main goal is to grow my blog. I’m interested to see what’s going to happen though and will definitely continue staying as active on it as I am and keeping up with my favorite accounts–yours is definitely one! 🙂
You’re so sweet! I am totally with you! The majority of my blog traffic is not from Instagram, so I’m not terribly worried about that portion either. I think the update will be fine once it’s rolled out. The total madness surrounding the change is insane + the asking to turn on notifications thing is over the top. If I set notifications for all of my favorite accounts, I’d be getting well over 600 alerts a day. Nooo thank you haha! I guess only time will tell. I plan to keep up with all of my favorite Insta accounts regardless; yours being one of them as well! 🙂 Thanks for reading girl! XOXO
Couldn’t agree more with everything you said! Thanks for sharing!
Aw thank you so much! It’s been quite a dramatic week in the Insta world LOL. I’m really glad you enjoyed the post! 🙂 XOXO
Thank you for sharing this! I was SO confused and hadn’t had the chance to really read up on what was changing… This blog post was perfect! 🙂
(My instagram is: Justliveitblog). 🙂
You’re very welcome!! Hopefully the transition is smooth for everyone! Thank you for reading! I’m going to check out your Insta now! 🙂 XOXO
good to know!
Thanks for reading! XO
This post was so informative! I love your writing style!👍🏽☺️