Hey everyone! Today, I wanted to talk about the latest news to rock the social media + blogging world… the Instagram update!
I’d consider myself pretty well versed when it comes to social media. Developing strategies, engaging content, and actively managing a variety of different accounts is what the majority of my professional background is comprised of! As a blogger, I rely heavily on many social platforms to help share my blogs content + interact with you guys through real-time posts. I am always doing my best to stay up to date on the latest news + trends, so when the platforms that I use decide to drastically switch things up, I like to do my homework.
This kind of update can seem a bit scary, but don’t fret just yet…I’m going to share a quick breakdown of what’s going on + how you can make it work for you!
Similar to Facebook, Instagram will be adjusting its algorithm so that your feed will feature the posts you’ll be most likely to enjoy + engage in at the top. Not your entire feed, juuuust the top! There’s a lot of misinformation, rage, and serious breakdowns going on, but this update is not the worst thing in the world. Here’s what you need to know…
- Nothing has changed yet! According to a rep from Instagram, they are still in the process of testing this new algorithm…and on a super small number of people! No major changes are coming our way for weeks, maybe months!
- Don’t over react, just interact! The new update will push posts that normally get a lot of likes + comments [specifically from you] to the top. Do you always like your best friends posts? Then you’ll probably still see them. Do your posts normally get a decent response? Then they probably still will. Do your posts normally receive minimal interaction as it is? You can do something about that. If you interact with others, others will interact with you. It’s fool proof, and it’s the most legitimate way to keep your account relevant! I’ve always made it a point to like every single photo that I see on my feed [unless of course, I don’t actually like it lol]. But that’s what this platform is all about! Why follow people if you don’t like their photos?
- Don’t get suckered into the “Global Thirst Crisis” [LOL]! Have you seen any “Turn on Notifications” posts? I woke up to a feed full of them yesterday. By turning on your notifications, you’re not guaranteeing that that persons pictures will show up in your feed, you’re agreeing to have an alert sent to your phone every.time.that.person.posts.a.picture. If you’re okay with that, then by all means…turn those suckers on!! But just know, if you usually like someones photos, it’s likely that you’ll continue to see them. They say that the majority of Instagram users miss 70% of the images in their timeline as it is, so what I like to do if I haven’t been on for a couple of days, is visit my favorite ‘grammar’s page’s and catch up on their pics! You may not catch them in real time, but you can still see them. 🙂
- Post great content! Be sure you’re sharing quality images [and no, you don’t need a fancy camera for this!] Make your content engaging, exciting, and valuable to your followers. For bloggers or small businesses, consider hosting a giveaway, run a contest, share a funny meme + ask people to tag a friend…get creative! And don’t forget to use those hashtags! 😉
- Don’t be Instacure! I love this term! Not sure if I can coin its origin, but I have yet to hear it be used elsewhere. At the end of the day, Instagram is meant to be fun. Don’t let all this number nonsense get to your head. Your worth is not based on your likes + followers. For many bloggers, artists, business owners, etc. these kinds of platforms are essential for marketing, so if you continue to share quality products + valuable content all while using your unique, genuine, honest voice…I think you’ll be just fine. 🙂
If you were confused about the Instagram update, I hope that this post helped you out a little bit!
Sometimes change can stink. I personally love the simplicity of Instagram as is — I love the real-time feed + seeing where people are/what they’re doing at that moment! It will certainly be interesting to see how much things change, but there’s not much we can do other than ride the wave + support one another by being active Instagram followers! 🙂
Thank you to everyone who follows me on the ‘gram + enjoys my posts! I do my best to show just as much love on your pictures as you all continuously show me on mine!
What are your thoughts on this update?
If you’re an active Instagrammer and I don’t follow you, please leave your username below!!