Spring is one of my favorite times of year because, well…. the cleaning! 🙂
This year, I’m even more excited to get into my Spring cleaning because I’m moving out of my condo at the end of the month [more on that to come]! Though I’m certainly bummed about leaving my wonderful roommate + the place we’ve called “home” for the last 6 years behind, I’m really looking forward to the next chapter, going through all of my belongings, and doing some serious downsizing!
Lately [especially after spending the last month living out of one suitcase], I’ve become absolutely fascinated with the idea of creating a minimalist lifestyle. I love nothing more than being in a clean, fairly empty, and organized space!
I do clean regularly, I go through my closet often, and I tidy up my bedroom daily, but just because it looks clean does not mean it feels that way. I can sense that I have stuff under my bed, I can sense the overflow behind my closet doors, and in the cabinets of my nightstands. I know that one of the drawers to my dresser is broken + one is rigged shut because it flat out broke due to the 18 pairs of jeans that were shoved into it, and I literally cringe at the thought of everything I have in our storage unit downstairs. UGH!! Though it’s all out of sight when I shut the doors, the feeling of excess definitely weighs on me + I am so ready + SO excited to say goodbye to a lot of it!
So with that said, I’ve been doing a lot of research on how to declutter + simplify my life! There are so many great systems out there, including the KonMari method! Taking bits + pieces from all that I’ve read, I designed my own plan of attack for going at this mess, and I wanted to share it with you! Feedback is encouraged.
Alright, here we go! –>
- Tackle my belongings by category.
- Separate everything by items I definitely want to keep, items I’m getting rid of, and items I’m not 100% sure what to do with.
- Only keep items that “spark joy”. Things that I regularly use/wear, items that I LOVE + make me happy, or items that are extremely sentimental.
- BUH BYE BOOKS! I’m so going to reintroduce myself to the library!
- Only keep one of every hair, skin, body related product at a time.
- Toss any + all makeup I haven’t touched in 2+ months.
- Downsize nail polish collection! Toss old polishes + only keep favorites…I swear, this is a whole project in itself.
- Get rid of all paper mail! Transfer all bills/statement to be received online.
- Sell/donate any handbag or pair of shoes I haven’t carried/worn in the last year.
- Remind myself of the overall goal every step of the way…you’re in the process of creating a clean, decluttered environment, full of nothing but things I adore! 🙂
It’s definitely going to be a bit of a daunting task, but I am freakishly excited about getting rid of all of my excess “stuff”! Seriously, though. I cannot even explain it, I’m not exaggerating one bit. I cannot waiiiiit to clean house, start fresh, and make room for all of the new + exciting things to come! 🙂
Do you guys have any tips for downsizing/moving/getting rid of overflow? I’d seriously love to hear them!