I get asked all of the time about my nail care routine. How do I grow them, shape them, keep them long, what products I use, how I do my own manicures – so many questions…which I’m always happy to answer!
I’ve drafted this post many times, but had yet to publish it (warning: it’s very long)! After receiving nail care Q’s from my most recent #ManiMonday (well, #ManiTuesday) Instagram post, I decided it was time to finally wrap this up & get it live!
It is officially too cold to leave the house without a coat (snow or no snow)…in my book that means winter has arrived. I must admit while I dread the cold weather…it’s a nice change of pace in the wardrobe department. There are certain clothes, bags, colors, and shoes that are more acceptable in the winter time. Here are my seasonal favorites:
1) Scarves: I wear a variety of scarves year round, however this time of year the heavier knits serve as more of a necessity than an accessory.
2) A winter hand bag. I recently got a Louis Vuitton and I am so in love with it! It is perfect for the season and I am trying to get as much use out of it as possible before the bright colors of Spring come back around.
3) Moisturizers. I moisturize year round, but it is especially important during the winter. My skin get’s really dry, so I prefer to use a body butter. I have an apricot mango butter for every day, a lavender butter for nighttime and a regular floral-y scent when I’m in a hurry or need a quick pump.
It is important to keep your face moisturized and hydrated as well. My regular Olay lotion doesn’t cut it as my skin gets super dry in the winter, luckily Ponds Dry Skin Cream works wonder.
Don’t forget a yummy smelling hand lotion to keep hands from drying or cracking.
4) Faux Fur. Capitalize on the cold- you can’t wear fur in the summer! I got this amazing faux chinchilla vest which serves as a perfect substitute for a coat!
5) Dark Nailpolish Colors. I have tried nearly every polish color, but I must admit that the darker shades are my favorite. If you’re not accustomed to using crazy colors but want to try something new, choose a forrest green or deep blue; they are still very clean and professional looking but will definitely mix things up.
6) A cozy sweater! Take advantage of the opportunity to bundle up and wear something cozy. This sweater could easily substitute as a robe.
7) Knee High Boots. I love wearing boots, they go with skinny jeans, leggings, skirts, and certain dresses. I have a simple pair of 3-4″ black suede knee highs that I wear at least twice a week-they are so versatile!
I look forward to pulling these clothes, products and accessories out every year. What kinds of things do you like to wear/use/do during the winter months?
Anyone that knows me knows that I am a fanatic about my fingernails! I could honestly dedicate an entire blog site to manicures, products and tips, but that’d be unhealthy and I do enjoy other things in life as well. 😉
This morning on Twitter I got into a discussion about cuticle oil with a couple of my followers who had never used it before! I think that is such a crime; all women should know the many benefits they’d get from carrying this product and using it regularly.
If you don’t currently use cuticle oil read on…
1) Cuticle oil helps keep fingernails healthy and strong.
2) Oil will restore and prevent dry, peeling or cracked cuticles.
3) When cuticles are not nourished, it is difficult to push them back and many salons will clip them. When they’re clipped you are providing an entry point for bacteria and fungi (ew!)
4) Improves nail strength, appearance, flexibility and growth. In a brief amount of time, you’ll notice your nails will be growing quicker, and much stronger.
I am a devout cuticle oiler! I apply dozens of times per day (which is excessive- it is suggested 3x/day is more than enough). I carry three different brands in my purse, check them out below:
I really love this product! It works amazing and keeps your nails and cuticles nourished for quite a while. The only downside is that it is difficult to use when walking, in a car, or any place that you cannot set the bottle down. It’s also slightly embarrassing to use in public because it looks like you are painting your nails, but Lord knows I don’t care ;)…
This product is my absolute favorite! It is a little pricey, but if you are trying to transform your nails, I would highly recommend picking one up! It is so convenient; it is discrete and it works phenomenally. I leave one on my desk at work (in my pen jar) and I swear I use it all day long.
In all honesty, any of these products will get the job done-I just have my favorites.
After I oil my cuticles I apply the Vaseline Healthy Hand & Nail Lotion which can be found at any drugstore, Walmart, CVS, etc.
No matter what product you choose to use, use something. Especially during these winter months. I promise you, you will notice a difference in your nails. 🙂
If you know of a must-have cuticle product tell me about it in the comments below!