The New England weather has been pretty darn beautiful lately. It’s not too hot, but officially too chilly to lay by the pool. It’s not freezing, but jackets aren’t necessary just yet. We’re in that transition phase where we wake up to brisk mornings and find ourselves drenched come lunch time. Getting dressed for these “conditions” can be tricky, but I have a few tips that may help.
First things first, I must share my personal rule when it comes to tapping into my Fall/Winter wardrobes:
Do not jump the gun.
We all know that Fall ranks highest of the seasons when it comes to fashion, but just because I’ve got a bunch of cute sweaters, booties, and jackets I want to wear, doesn’t mean it’s time to wear them. Let me paint a picture for you…
Imagine it’s an afternoon in mid-September (technically still Summer), and you’re standing in line at Starbucks wearing the cutest chunky knit sweater with some distressed skinny jeans and OTK boots! PSL’s are now being served and you cannot wait to get your hands on one. When you got dressed this morning it was a crisp 60 degrees and your outfit was FAB! Unfortunately, it’s now 82 degrees, sunny and you’re actually melting. In front of you, a girl wearing a cute corduroy skirt, loose fitting short sleeved t-shirt, and a pair of sandals is ordering an iced coffee. You’re borderline jealous of her adorably appropriate late Summer outfit and suddenly feel silly.
That first girl was me for so long! In recent years, I realized that Fall was going to arrive when it was ready, and I had no problem waiting for it. I also realized that my best outfits are the ones that I feel comfortable in. I don’t care how cute my chunky sweater is, if I’m literally melting, it’s definitely not a cute look.
Now I don’t mean to knock anyone who does like to jump the gun, if you’re just busting at the seams and literally cannot wait to do the fall thing… do you girl! But I’m usually really happy when I hold off, it just makes wearing my new (and old) Fall pieces that much more exciting. It’s all about practicing patience, my little fashionistas. We’ve got months of cold weather ahead of us. 😉
Now, I’m not going to tell you to go put your cute autumn clothes back in your drawers until it gets colder without helping you figure out what you’re supposed to wear instead! So here are a few of my tips for making it through these hot/cold days.
- Layer, layer, layer! It’s not full blown Fall, but it’s certainly no longer Summer, so we need to work with both wardrobes to find the balance. Some of my favorite layering pieces this time of year are cardigans, denim jackets, and lightweight scarves. Throw on a pair of slacks with a nice tank or short sleeved shirt and top the look with any of these easily removable items. They’ll keep you stylish and comfortable all day long.
- Tap into those autumnal hues. During the Summer we’re usually drawn to light, bright, and jewel-toned clothing, but we all have some Summer pieces in our closets that look a little more Fall…and probably haven’t gotten much use over the last three months. You know which ones I’m talking about. The burgundy tank, the mustard skirt, the forest green blouse. This is the time to wear those things!
- Say yes to sandals! Personally, my legs and feet don’t get too cold (it’s my arms I usually have to worry about) so I love to keep my sandals handy as we move into Fall. There’s no snow on the ground, the leaves aren’t falling just yet, and we all know sandals are a Godsend when it comes to easy footwear. Get a fresh pedi and give those sandals another month or so of use!
- Long live Summer skirts & dresses! Don’t be so quick to pack up your Summer dresses; adding a fun pair of tights or some OTK boots is an easy way to make a Summer piece more appropriate for chillier days …and they’ll keep your body temp comfortable too!
- Expose some skin. Whether it be your arms, legs, ankles or shoulders, let your sun-kissed Summer skin live free for a little while longer. It’s not time to bundle, so take advantage of the cold-shoulder style tops, mini and midi skirts, and the high-waisted/crop top combo while you still can.
This is actually one of my favorite times of the year, and as we move into October, November, December…it only gets better. I am a huge advocate for enjoying each season to its fullest potential. Don’t get me wrong, I get just as excited as the next girl when the leaves begin to change, but I’m adamant about waiting for the weather to follow suit before I swap my wardrobe. I’m probably the only person on the planet who holds off until October 1st before I indulge in anything pumpkin. Yes, PSL’s (and caramel apple spices – YUM) will have to wait a few more weeks for this chick.
I hope this post gave you a few ideas and new ways to utilize your wardrobe while we’re in-between seasons. Fall is definitely coming and I cannot wait! 🙂
What are some of your style tips for the “in-between” seasons?
The green & pink sweaters (at the beginning and end of this post) are from my friends at Poof Apparel! I’ve worn their clothes for years and have actually been an ambassador for the brand over the past 6 months or so. Be sure to check out some of the cute pieces in their fall line this year!