[BE SURE TO READ TO THE END! THE YOUNIQUE GIVEAWAY WINNER HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED!]
I’ll start off by saying that I am in no way, shape, or form a professional photographer. However, when it comes to snapping pictures on my phone, I do have a few tricks that work really well for me!
Everyone has a their own creative eye when it comes to photography, but at the end of the day I think that most of us strive to get that clean, clear, colorful, and crisp shot…
You don’t need a fancy camera or any other gadgets to take a great photo. You just need to make some minor adjustments!
DISCLAIMER: This post may not be groundbreaking for any photo-savvy readers, but for anyone who’s still learning the ropes when it comes to snapping smartphone pictures, these simple tips will help you to instantly step up your game! 🙂
Alright, here we go! –>
1. Cleanse your lens. This sounds so silly, but most people never think to do this!
Using your shirt, an eyeglass cloth, or any other bit of fabric [blanket, towel, etc.], simply wipe the lens clean. It’s a small trick that’ll make a huge difference in the quality of your photos!
2. You’re ready when you’re steady. This one can be tricky for a lot of us…myself included, but a steady hand is crucial for taking a clear picture. It’s totally okay to prop your phone or use the timer setting if possible! If not, there’s no shame in snapping a ton of pictures so you can choose the best. The “burst” feature on the iPhone is helpful for this! Simply hold the photo button down and it will rapid-snap…giving you plenty of options!
3. Natural light is always right. Indirect sunlight is your best friend! If you’re indoors, take your photos in front of a window [but out of the sun]. If you’re outside, a shady area works best! You must avoid direct sunlight …it will wash you out. Unfortunately, you can’t just turn your back to the sun either…that photo will be far too dark. You want to be in a well lit area that’s facing the sun…but not directly in the rays! If that makes sense…
4. Consider the composition. You could get into the rule of thirds, and all of the other photography guidelines, but for the average person, just be aware of what’s going on in the frame. Whether it’s a busy visual or a bare one…you want your photo to feel simple + balanced. For example – lets chat about this delicious carrot cake cupcake that my Aunt made…
5. Don’t discredit an edit! Of course you can snap a gorgeous #NoFilter pic, but there’s nothing wrong with a little tweaking to make it even better! Most times, I’ll just play around with the brightness, contrast, highlights, shadows, etc. but I do like applying filters once in a while! I like to use the “Faded” + “VSCO” apps for some unique options, but when it comes to Instagram filters…Valencia, Nashville, and Clarendon are my favorites. A little tip: not everyone knows that you can change an Insta filter strength by double tapping the filter box + sliding the bar to adjust! 🙂
I really enjoy taking pictures, and love to use my blog + Instagram account as places to express my creativity! 🙂 We all have different styles + preferences, but I thought that these tips could be helpful + useful for anyone!
Do you have any photo tips to share?! Leave them in the comments!!
YOUNIQUE GIVEAWAY WINNER!
Thank you to everyone who entered my Younique Giveaway! I love/hate giveaways because I wish I could send something to everybody who enters – I really appreciate all of you guys participating. 🙂
All of your names were put into a random picker + the lucky winner was…
Congratulations, Dana!!! Be sure to check your e-mail for details so I can get these goodies sent off to you ASAP! 🙂
PS: If you’re bummed you missed out this time, I have a few really good giveaways coming up in the next few weeks, so stay tuned!! 🙂
Have a great weekend everyone! XOXO