I love traditions, my family has quite a few of them — but in recent years, I’ve started to create my own. Just small things that I look forward to doing or making by myself each year…and this recipe has become one of them.
I basically combined my favorite parts of two traditional Fall desserts to create the most delicious thing ever…
Apple Crisp Pie.
New England has had some wonderful apple picking weather lately!
I brought home a huge bag of fresh apples from the orchard a couple weeks ago + couldn’t wait to make [and blog about] my favorite Fall recipe!
To clarify, this dessert is exactly what it says it is. Apple crisp…in a pie. I first attempted to make it 3 or 4 years ago + have since perfected the recipe.
Today, I want to share it with you. 🙂
Let’s get started!
For the crumb topping:
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted, softened butter – diced into small chunks
For the apple filling:
- 4-5 large baking apples of your choice [I always switch them up + usually use a couple different kinds]
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp flower
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- pie crust [I go frozen]
- vanilla ice cream [optional, but strongly encouraged]
- whipped cream [optional]
- caramel sauce [optional]
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Peel + chop apples.
3. In a separate bowl, combine all of the crumb topping ingredients
4. In smaller bowl, you’re going to begin making the apple filling. Combine melted butter + flour until well blended.
5. Add lemon juice, milk, and vanilla extract. Stir.
6. Then add brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
7. Pour filling over apples + coat them evenly.
8. Add the coated apples to your pie crust [make sure that it’s thawed if you went the frozen route like me 🙂 ]
9. Add your crumb topping!
10. Bake for 35-40 minutes until topping is crisp… + voila
11. I like to serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and caramel sauce.
I really look forward to making this 2-3 times every Fall + am so glad to have finally gotten the recipe on my blog! If you like both apple crisp + apple pie, I encourage you to give it a try! 🙂
Do you have any Fall traditions or a favorite recipe? Let me know below!